** Important info from the TDSB about School Advisory Councils during Covid-19 **
Everyone is welcome to join the Earl Haig School Advisory Council and our monthly meetings. Meetings take place in the music room, once a month – alternating between Tuesday & Wednesday – from 7pm – 8:30pm. Child care is provided.
Upcoming Meeting Dates:
- Wednesday, June 17, 2020 (via Zoom)
2019-20 SAC Executive Team
Chair: Shannon Butcher
Past Chair: Barb Bower
Treasurer: Nicole Lambe
Secretary: Cleo Buster
Ward Council Rep: Rosalyn Wise + Sarah Buski
Nutrition Coordinator: Pilar Hernandez
Technology Officer: Jo Anne Gould
Communications Committee: Michelle Loney + Karen Simpson
Fundraising Coordinator: Polly VandenBerg
Advocacy Lead: Nupur Deonarine
- Kindergarten – Diana Sousa
- Primary – Jade Shulist
- Junior – Hilary Gray
- Intermediate – Lori Zuppinger
- French Rep – Sherry Lin
- Tanya Mustachi
- Jen Barnes
- Cleo Buster
- Anita Tsang
- Tuyen Tran
Council Executive Positions:
- Chair or Co-Chairs: Provide leadership and guidance to the Executive Committee and liaise with the Principal and Vice Principal on School Advisory Council related school matters. Responsibilities also include overseeing Council initiatives and providing guidance and support to sub-committees, chairing Council meetings (minimum of four per year) including leading the development of meeting agendas, and representing the School Advisory Council at various external TDSB
- Past-Chair: Is the position held by the previous chair in order to facilitate a smooth transition and continuity within the Council.
- Treasurer: The Treasurer is responsible for maintaining the School Advisory Council financial records including issuing cheques, making bank deposits, preparing financial statements (including annual statement to TDSB) and bank account reconciliation. The Treasurer is a signatory on the bank account. The Treasurer also provides administrative support to Council fundraising endeavours. Key candidate requirements include comfort with and basic understanding of bookkeeping and accounting principles.
- Secretary: The Secretary attends and takes minutes at each School Advisory Council meeting. The Secretary prepares these minutes for draft review before each subsequent meeting, and works with the Communications Coordinator to ensure their publication in approved form on the Council Blog/Facebook/website.
- Communications Team: Manages website, e-blasts, social media and the Council email address.
- Members-at-Large: Participates in Council work as needed, occasionally spearheading specific projects as determined by Council. The voice and vote of the parent community on motions presented at council.
- Ward 16 Council Representative: Attends Ward 16 Trustee meetings and reports on learnings at Council meetings.
- Fundraising Lead: Fundraising for resources to improve Earl Haig’s learning experience requires a number of hands and energy. This position would lead the fundraising team and provide some continuity between the variety of fundraising initiatives. The Fundraising Lead is not expected to be at every fundraising event, but rather will work behind the scenes with Event Leads, the Treasurer, and the Chair to keep momentum going.
- Grade Reps (Kindergarten/Primary/Intermediate): The needs of students and parents/caregivers can vary depending on grade. These Grade Rep positions would ensure Council is fairly representing the needs of all students/families and would act as point persons for families to connect with between council meetings.
- Advocacy Lead: TBD.
- Nutrition Program Liaison: TBD.
Don’t have time for an Executive role, but want to volunteer? In addition to these Executive Council roles, we are always in need of dedicated parent volunteers who can provide support in a variety of ways, including volunteers for the school’s snack/lunch program, bake sale volunteers, and much more! View those opportunities here!
For more information about school councils and the valuable role they play in the school community, please visit Guide to School Councils. For more information about school councils in the TDSB, visit the TDSB’s School Councils page.