The Earl Haig Spring Festival will be held on Thursday June 2 from 3:30 – 7:00 in the schoolyard. Volunteers are needed to run various events, such as staffing the barbecue, selling food, set up and take down, and running the games and tables. We also need bakers for the Cake Walk and bake sale. To volunteer for any role at the Festival, sign up here.
Jars are a favourite of the festival, and one event which depends on the contributions of all Earl Haig families. We have over 450 students at Earl Haig – that’s a lot of jars! We rely on jar donations from everyone to ensure no child leaves the jar line disappointed!
If you are new to the Festival, we are here to explain the Jars phenomenon.
- Find an empty clean jar. (Empty jars (with lids) can be donated to, or picked up for filling from, the Office.)
- Fill the jar with fun items.
- Bring the jar to the school office prior to the Spring Festival (by June 1st).
- The Festival Elves will number every single jar, and remove the jars which are not safe (broken items, old playdough).
- On the day of the Festival buy tickets for the activities, stand in the Jars line**, when it is your turn hand in ONE ticket and you will pick a number. The jar with the corresponding number will be located by the volunteers and given to you.
- Voila! Jars.
** Jars have THREE release times, 4:00, 5:00 and 6:00. JARS timeline
Ideas for jars: wrapped candies, crayons, lip balm, hair chalk, sidewalk chalk, small plastic toys, coins, new in the container playdough, seed packets, beads, magnetic letters, post it notes, unfrozen freezies, craft supplies, toy cars, small rubber balls, band aids, erasers…anything child friendly that will fit in a jar.
Bad jar: Clothes pins and string in water. Oh Pinterest, what have you wrought?
Salad in a jar is a lunchtime mainstay of many, but not a good donation to the Festival.
Confusing Jar: So. Many. Questions.
For the adults we have Bag a Bottle. Please donate a Gift Bag with adult oriented bottles. Examples include olive oil, hand lotion, bath soaps, wine, dish soap. The premise is the exact same, buy a ticket and discover what is in your bag.
We thank you for your donated jars and look forward to seeing you on June 2!